Friday, August 7, 2015

Another world-wide adventure

Hello world (namely Mum),

It is that time again where I count down the days until departing on another life-changing trip overseas. This one is almost entirely a family voyage and only the travelling parts will be done alone. 
For those of you who aren't my mum, here is a bit of context. (Don't worry, Mum- the itinerary is here too.)

The first stop is Bangkok, Thailand, where my best girlfriend has been living for about 9 months with her Cambodian man, Sorm. Speaking of 9 months, Jana is pregnant with my Godchild, so this visit will be ultra special. In April of last year, Jana and I went to Thailand together to celebrate 20 years of best friendship, and this marked as a catalyst in Jana's decision to be bold and move there for good- A decision I stupidly encouraged, as she had always talked about it (and is practically Thai at heart anyway).

Next, I'll be heading to continent number two: Africa. Specifically Jos, Nigeria. My sister, brother-in-law and their three beautiful girls left Australia a year ago and the heartache is still fresh. Although Jos wasn't their intended destination, they have been working the Ministry Centre there until they get the green light to go to Liberia (which won't be long after I leave them). It would have been incredible to go to Liberia and see the place we have been praying them into, but it's going to be so great to see where they have been living and calling 'home' so far.

After Africa, I'll be going to the USA. My brother, sister-in-law and their two gorgeous kids have been living in Michigan for (is it?) 7 years(?)! This will be my third time visiting them in their beautiful home. The last time I saw them was Christmas 2012 and it was my first real snow encounter! The Summer will be just about over so the kids will be at school and Nath will be working but it doesn't matter because this is real life. 

It may seem like I am bitter about my whole family living abroad. Yes, there are a lot of selfish reasons why I wish they were still in Australia, but I also supported and encouraged their decisions to move overseas because essentially, I know they are exactly where they need to be. Whether it is the culture or God's calling, it is also home. And because my family are my heart, I now have a piece of home in every corner of the world.

A big c(hunk) of home, my other half, will be coming to Michigan in my last week away and then we will head to New York before coming home together. It will be my third time to New York and Shane's second. You can't go just once because you fall in love with a specific food dish and daydream about it every minute of every day until you go to New York and eat it again. For Shane, it's mac and cheese from Mac Bar. For me, a burger from Shake Shack.

 So here we are at 10 days to go.
I have bought my own luggage this time, as everyone I have ever borrowed from is now living overseas. (I guess I'll just have to go and visit them.. What a right shame.) I have attempted to pack a few times now.. If I could just stop buying Aussie gifts and supplies for everyone, maybe I could remember to pack some clothes for myself. My Nigerian visa still hasn't come through, so if we could pray that and my passport over before my departure date, that would be swell.

Itinerary (Here you go, Mum):

17th August 
depart Sydney 9:45am
arrive Bangkok 4:35pm

3rd September
depart Bangkok 2:40am
arrive Dubai 5:45am

depart Dubai 10:50am
arrive Abuja (Nigeria) 3:10pm

28th September
depart Abuja 10:10pm


29th September
arrive Frankfurt 5:25am

depart Frankfurt 10:15am
arrive Detroit 1:35pm

16th October
depart Detroit (tba)
arrive New York (tba)

19th October
depart New York (early)
arrive Detroit (tba)

depart Detroit 5:50pm
arrive Los Angeles 7:55pm

depart Los Angeles 10:20pm
arrive Sydney 7:20am 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment