Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Street food

Street food is just the best. In Thailand, it is everywhere. Jana already lives right next to a fresh food market and just in front of her place, the food carts line the street for miles on end in both directions. 
Every time we pass a food cart selling hot corn on the cob, I salivate but have just eaten so no buy, just look. 

Today is my last day in Bangkok. When Sorm asked me what I wanted to do, I said "EAT HOT CORN!" It was lunchtime and he had already eaten. We prowled the scorching streets and markets of Phra Khanong, because we just so happened to be there at the time, and we could not find a single corn food cart. I was starting to get a little bit weak from all the sweating, walking and lack of eating and I just said, "Let's just forget about it. Go home." 

We caught a non-air conditioned bus and I could've just died when I stood up and my clothes and the seat I was sitting in were saturated in sweat. The bus dropped us off just outside the fresh food market at Udom Suk and we thought we may as well have a look for some corn on our way back home.

Lo and behold, there it was. Golden, steamy, juicy mountain of corn cobs. I got 2 for 25 baht (AU$1) and and had a great time munching away kernel after kernel until the cob was just a cylindrical husk. 

So satisfied.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment