Thursday, December 20, 2012

The last Japanese day

18th... Last day in Japan :(

Went to shibuya, which means that we finally made it to the well known pedestrian crossing, and as turns out, the fashion capital pretty much!! Which is quite embarrassing, considering I was wearing my "merry Christmas" Santa T-shirt and my floral pants (the only other pants I brought are all of a sudden too big for me!)
So I was getting a whole lot of weird looks.. Also probably because my lack of Asian-ness really stands out.

Went to 109, as suggested and found a whole heap of adorable boutiques. Found too much I wanted but nothing really to fit my non-Japanese body shape/budget.

I did find some incredibly short skirts that were priced two for one. The girl made me try it on. But wouldn't let me into the change room with shoes on. (Good thing I wore my boots that take me HOURS to put on and lace up...) Well, because I have a curvy bum, I had to pull the skirt over my head. Which then became extremely rolled up and impossible to make it look skirt-like. Approximately 20 mins later, I emerged from the change room with a skirt on around the middle, as it should be, but slightly tight. I asked the girl, "what size is it?" in my best Asian accent (... Oh gosh I feel a fool sometimes.)
She points to the size tag, which says "F". (What the heck does F mean?!)
I hold up 10 fingers, then 2, to indicate size 12 (which may sound enormous to them, but far out, for me, that's a bloody accomplishment!!) She said to me "only 1 size for everyone".
Well considering I got it on, it didn't LOOK too tight, I thought, why the bloody hell not! I fit into a "one size fits all" in Japan. So I got the 2-for-1 special and got some thick tights to go with them!

After shibuya, Shane and I hopped on yet another train and headed the massive distance of one stop to Harajuku- Home of crazy fashion. Seriously, anything goes in Harajuku. We walked past a pants store. Didn't even realise that they were actually pants until we looked closer. Fluroescent colours, colours that clash, colours that go really nicely together but on really obscure clothing.. I found some amazing big, thick, wooly jumpers in a few different stores. Silly me, decided not to buy straight away but to keep looking around. Well sure enough, I forgot all about the big, thick, wooly jumpers until well after we had left for home. Oh well. I am sure I'll find something to suit in America!

Kiddy land was something that was on my to-do list, but forgot about it until we stumbled across it while in Harajuku. It was Ah-MAZING!!
There was a whole level dedicated to Ghibli and Disney merch!!! Two of my great loves! We bought a baby sized Totoro blankey for when we have kids. (I think I freaked out Dad Beresford with that comment.. Sorry, no grandkids yet!)

After Shibuya and Harajuku, Shane and I were both exhausted and decided to head back to Hotel Yanagibashi for a bit of a rest, before heading out one last time to Akihabara.

We decided to spend our last evening by going to a Japanese restaurant. Well.. By japanese restaurant, I don't mean sitting on the floor with our legs under the table, but, like the one in Sydney, where you sit at tables and order off a screen- not one little bit in English! Just look at the pictures and try to match the Japanese symbols and characters to that on the screen. We were tempted to ask for help a couple of times, but managed to order independently. We ordered an array of foods.. I was hankering for some agedashi tofu, but apparently there's NONE in the whole of Tokyo.
What we ended up getting:
*Some extremely tender chunks of beef in some Asian paste and bean sprouts (SO GOOD)
*gyoza (they are the same as anywhere),
*2 types of chicken skewers (sounds adventurous, I know.. But one of the types of skewers were actually just skewered pieces of chicken skin. So weird!),
*spring rolls (again sounds adventurous- NOT. But these were so different from any spring rolls that I have ever tasted. I think the main ingredient was bean curd..? They were very squishy and soggy anyway, despite their crispy, deep-fried outer shell... Not a huge fan...)
*plain vanilla icecream for Shane (of course..)
* my dessert was this Bizzare frozen treat- I can't decide if it was ice cream or cheesecake or a mixture of the two. It tasted very tropical - mango, banana, pineapple- but had a thin later of toffee on top with some coconut milk and coconut whipped cream on the side. Whatever it was- it was GOOD!!!

So sad to leave. But excited for the next chapter! Next stop, FAMILY TIME!!







































No comments:

Post a Comment