Friday, February 8, 2013

A couple of days worth celebrating. The 8th of February in two different time zones.

This morning, with a heavy heart, I said goodbye to Sofi, unsure if we will meet again because she had to drive to San Luis for her grandmother's sister's funeral. (San Luis is about 3 hours away and sounds amazing. But I thought it was a little inappropriate for me to ask to tag along..)

I have never met any one so carefree and so so generous. What a delight to meet. She invited me into her home and welcomed me into her circle of friends who all showed me around the town and their university. We went for ice cream and watched the hippies bang their drums and ate ice cream under the stars by the university.

Sofi's room is so beautiful and a true expression of herself. I am so inspired to create things and to play with all things creative when I get back to the land of Oz. I tried to capture her room on camera but it was more of an experience than something to look at.

This morning I headed on over to the hostel (a couple of blocks away) and met Sebastian who works here and tries to speak English (which is surprisingly good, considering he never learned!) and show me around by means of maps and my trusty translator app! We can, for the most part, understand each other and that's all that matters.

I said to Sebastian, "Tomorrow is my birthday, but in Australia, today is my birthday!"
He said that we should have a party! Paula, who also works here and speaks much more English, said that she would make a cake for my "party" on Friday night. So sweet!

I spent most of the day talking with Paula over a copious amount of watermelon and watching Friends on TV (the one where they find out that Rachel's pregnant- first episode of season 8). She is so great to talk to. We really bonded over our love for animals in their natural environment and a whole list of other things.

When I said that Sebastian for the most part can understand me, there have been a couple of mix-ups.. He told me that he was going to go rock climbing later and that I could go if I wanted to. I said "we'll see", but I think he thought I said "sí", as in "yes", because later, Paula said "Emma, it's time for you to go rock climbing now! Here is the map for how to get there!" So I sort of felt like I had to go. Well I went rock climbing, Little Bro, Nat! My thighs, ankles, wrists, fingers, OK, my whole body, is in AGONY! And it isn't even the day after yet. Sebastian was a wonderful teacher and he really pushed me to keep trying. This was so positive for me because from the moment I walked in, I was so overwhelmed!! I kept thinking "I can't do this, it's way too hard". And it was. It was so freaking hard! He makes it look so damn easy! I explained to him about my knees being so weak and fragile and he sympathised, but still pushed me to go "one more try" about 20 times. I felt amazing afterwards and a little accomplished even! (Even if I only made it a few meters off the ground!) I think I did prefer to watch the climbing, rather than climb myself. These guys are like Spider-Man!!
I eventually HAD to leave at 9pm because I was just starving and even half way out the door, he managed to get me back inside, with the climbing shoes and harness on for "one more (bloody) try". Hahhaah! Best part was that it was free!

After the gym, I headed back home, sneaking an empanada (Espinaca con queso- spinach&cheese) before the proposed 10pm dinner of pizza. I met a room mate, Becky from Philadelphia, USA. She has been travelling for 6 months (or more, I think?) and has a patient man at home. We had long chats about our love of art, travelling and different cultures we have experienced so far. I am now noticing just how different my speech is to people who speak fluent English, than those who speak little English.
I find that with an Australian accent, I am constantly repeating myself. So over time, I have started speaking English the way that Spanish speakers use English. It's hard to switch from Spanglish to English!

Anyway, after many many birthday messages (thank you everyone!) and in the middle of skyping Shane, I get a holler from Sebastian
"Emma, Emma!! Come!!!"
I hesitate, wanting to talk to Shane and wanting to eat pizza (finally!! At 11:30pm!!).. And again the calls come.
"Emma, Emma! Emma, Emma!"
So I go up onto the roof and eat pizza with about 25 other people I have never met and then at the stroke of midnight (I am oblivious of time once food reaches my mouth), they start signing happy birthday. The same tune, but with Spanish words! This is so very nice. I wish I could shower thanks in Spanish but all I know is "muchas gracias!" Which I can't say enough times to stress how thankful I am. Then they sing happy birthday in English!
And then out comes a cake with a massive sparkler in it (looks like a flare, but with a candle spoke to jab into the cake) and the singing starts again! People all around take turns in asking me how old I am in English, to which I can confidently reply "veinticuatro!" Paula must have been cooking this cake while I was rock climbing! It was amazing. Chocolinas is the type of cake.. It's made out of cookies! Amazing!!

One of the girls had her guitar out and was singing all kinds of Spanish songs that most people knew the words to and were singing along. She sang a few English songs too, the only one I really knew was Blackbird by The Beatles, which made me think of my beautiful Sister and the amazing family that she is taking with her to Africa in a few short months time. It was a great song for this girl to play and for me to recognise. A beautiful and nostalgic way for my birthday celebrations to begin.











































1 comment:

  1. donecha just luv that birthday cake! The origami is nice too! dad

    ReplyDelete