Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Adios Uruguay



Uruguay was a bit of a suprise for me. I thought I would be out everyday seeing and doing new things.

But I mainly just took my time and spent most of my time relaxing and resting! I ventured to el Dorado each day (the supermarket, not the city of gold and riches) for breakfast, lunch and dinner ingredients. Cheese, breadsticks and sour "jungle ropes" were staples for each day, as well as a few tanks of water.

Anna, Mathilde and I claimed the sun chairs by the pool each day.. And if they were occupied, we would head for the hammocks! The hostel finally cleaned the pool too. And it has never been so appealing. We were still the only swimmers during the day. Most other swimmers were the early hours of the morning, either being pushed in by people from the bar area, or to retrieve a rogue ball that had fallen from the pool table.

One morning I woke up to find Anna and Mathilde still awake from the night before! I let them sleep all day while I stole the opportunity to scope the town and buy my bus ticket to my next destination.

While searching for an ATM to purchase ticket, (they are not as common as you might think- considering no one accepts Visa card!) I stumbled upon a market place in the nearby plaza. There were gazebos permanently set up with stall names and all. Unfortunately everything was shut. I had found this place a few hours too early! I did see a sign above one stall that showed pictures of hair braids and dreadlocks so I thought I would come back later. In the meantime, I wandered the shops Uruguay noting how expensive it all is! Wow! Even after dividing the price by 20 (to find the Au$ value), it's still quite an expensive town. I found a cheap looking shop that sold a bit of everything and one cotton bracelet was about Au$5! Whaaaat?! Needless to say, I didn't spend much money! I did however, find a store that sold sandals for $10. That was much more acceptable.

After a while, I went back to the market plaza and saw the lady setting up her stall I was interested in. I chose myself a nice bit of cotton and some wooden beads for my hair and she kindly attached it for me. She informed me as best she could (her English was poor and my Spanish is less than poor) that she doesn't do dreadlocks. So close!

That night I got to be closer acquainted with our other roommates, Rosia (Rochi) and Maria (Belu) from Argentina. It was so wonderful to bond with them over the pleasures of travelling and seeing the world for months at a time.. And they told me that last year they went to the Galápagos Islands! We had so many wonderful stories to exchange and shared an understanding that not many people can share about that magical place.

Today, most people are checking out (including myself) so I think Anna and Mathilde will have the 10 beds to themselves! They have even started stealing matresses from the other beds and piling them on top of their own (because they are so very thin and almost useless). Unfortunately, I am claustraphobic enough as it is on the bottom bunk, so if I limit my breathing space any further by adding more matresses, I would be off sleeping on the floor.

I have mixed feelings about leaving today. On one hand, I am excited to be seeing more things and adventuring to a new place.. Especially because there is hardly any time left before coming back to Sydney! And on the other hand, it would be so nice to stay with the friends I have met and get to know them better.. And even spend my birthday with them (which is in 3 days time). At least I have plans to meet up with Anna and Mathilde when I get back to Buenos Aires on the 17th.

Speaking of birthday celebrations, I am so wonderfully blessed to have the sister I do- who is showing me something new each day leading up to my birthday. First, a box of Adriano Zumbos passionfruit macarons which Arin is going to make! And then a cake that Lilly made me! I love birthday week. Even if it does feel significantly different on the other side of the globe...

Now I have to treck across town with my mammoth bag to the bus terminal (on the sunniest, warmest day since I got here!) and then sit for 20 hours on the bus to Cordoba, Argentina. So glad I spent an extra $30 for a seat that reclines! Praying for sleep and to say adios to the sickness for good!! Can't shake this tickle in my throat (yes mum, I tried gargling with warm salt water!) and it's irritating me to no end.

Resolutions for cordoba-
*Buy myself a birthday cake to share with whatever roommates I may have.
*Leave the hostel for more than food.
*Go paragliding or something else exciting like that!
*Shave my armpits. It's just been too long.

















No comments:

Post a Comment