Monday, February 11, 2013

Cordoba on a Saturday

Yesterday (Saturday) I went for a walk into the city. There were so many shops! But almost EVERYTHING was shut. It was like a ghost town. I was with Alexander and Jo from the hostel and because all of the shops were shut, we decided to go inside all of the many churches that are in and around town. I'm not usually one for big cathedrals or temples or anything. But they were amazing buildings. More so inside than out.. But beautiful. It was actually really cool to go to a church in another country. No one spoke English but I understood what they were doing there.

My McDonalds experience of Cordoba was on Saturday too. I ordered in Spanish (and pretty good if you ask me!) a large Sprite and a small fries. Well I got my large Sprite... But instead of fries, I was given a cheeseburger. As it was handed to me in a bag, I didn't notice until I was almost back home. Oh well. How they got "hamburguesa con queso" mixed up with "pequeño papas fritas", I have no idea.

Saturday and Sunday, the hippies have their artisanal markets with all sorts of handmade goodies. Although I would have been perfectly happy to go alone, it was nice to have the company of Charlie (Argentina), Helen (Norway), Alexander (France) and Jo (Switzerland). Haha what a mixed bunch! We were stopped in the street many times, people asking the boys where they were from (I didn't get asked more than once. Mustn't look much like a tourist anymore!) but it was so much fun to say "Norway, France, Switzerland, Argentina, Australia" when we were asked as a group.

I scored myself a piece of lemon meringue pie the size of my head for only 5pesos (US$1). And the stalls were just beautiful. If the items weren't handmade, they were antiques or plants. And the markets stretched for 4 blocks or so. There was so much food, music, people getting dreadlocks (maybe I got a couple..) and friendly people in every direction.

A really cool day to enjoy the sights and culture of a smaller Argentinian town! Hope you get a glimpse of beautiful Cordoba from the few photos I managed to take..






















































1 comment:

  1. Such an amazing adventure. What a great record of your multitude of joyful experiences. love dad

    ReplyDelete