Friday, February 15, 2013

Puerto Iguaçu

It's been raining pretty hard since I arrived in Iguazu. Lucky my hostel is only 1 block away from the bus terminal, so my luggage didn't get too wet. The hostel is actually quite nice! There is a beautiful pool that looks good enough to jump into if it weren't for the rain. I've met a couple of nice people who had left before I got a chance to really get to know them or even have a decent conversation. But I am only here for a couple of days so I'm feeling a bit lazy in the "meeting new people" department. I am also very very tired. I would hate to meet some new people when I am in a bit of a grumpy state. Best to stick to myself and enjoy some moments of solitude colouring in or reading Peter Pan.

Today I ventured to the falls. THE falls. The Iguazu Falls. The day consisted of being wet for the entire duration of the day. It started out pleasant and exciting, but I am soaked to the bone and shivering in the only shelter I could find: air conditioned canteen area.

Anyway, I paid to go on a tour that started with an open truck ride through the rainforest, where I was lucky enough to see some of the 1000s species of butterfly native to the area. Also got to see some spiders (eek!!) that are about the size of my fist and are not poisonous. They only told me this after they purposefully stalled the truck so that a spider in its web was dangling 30cm away from my head. I was not the calmest person on board.. But of course it was raining too hard for me to whip my camera out. The spiders in Iguazu are quite amazing. Their "thread" is used in some extra fine fabrics and is the latest technology in bullet-proof vests for military. Very lightweight but ultra strong. They call their web "rope" because of the weight it can hold. Pretty amazing stuff. But I would appreciate them more from a distance, not DANGLING within arms reach of my face.

Argentina and Brazil both claim to have the best views of the waterfalls and I reckon Argentina have it in the bag. Part of my tour was going in a speed boat around the waterfalls and going right up under them!! Wow! I couldn't have been more wet, even if I jumped off the boat. So much water everywhere! But more importantly, what an experience! After we went right up and under the first waterfall, I kept thinking "man, I need to do this again!" And the boat turned around and did it again!! Then at the bigger waterfalls, we went in twice as well!!! I could barely keep my eyes open through the fine mist. How amazing that was. I met a girl while lining up for the boat (solitude didn't last long, eh!), Suzette from London. And we spent a fair bit of time exploring the rainforest together once the boat ride was finished. It was on this trek that we witnessed some of the most amazing views you will ever see. My camera made it out of my backpack in a plastic bag eventually because it was too beautiful not to take photos. But at the same time, my dear little Neptune Frost just doesn't do this place justice. The lens kept fogging up and the nifty fifty lens was just too zoomy and not enough wide angle or panoramic. Photography and travelling is hard like that. My backpack was heavy enough as it was with camera, water, bug spray, wallet etc. if you add any other lenses or attachments, you may as well bring your kitchen sink with you. I really wish I had an awesome camera that just did it all. But then I guess, if it were that easy, there wouldn't be such professions as photographers. And that's really what I'm whining about. That I'm not a photographer. Should have pursued it after high school. Anyway, i was talking about the falls...

Once again I stand in awe with nothing but goosebumps to show for my expression at the marvel of my God. 9 hours at the national park, gawking at waterfalls from every direction.. Pretty spectacular day.




























1 comment:

  1. There are amazing pictures even with the fogged lens! What an experience of a lifetime!
    Love reading the blogs...Marj

    ReplyDelete