Tuesday, February 12, 2013

To feel bitter-sweet.

Yesterday I said goodbye to Becky (USA), Helen (Norway) and said a hello to my new roommates, Meijhe (-sp?) (Holland), Andy and Emma (New Zealand), Clint (USA) and four teenage boys from the UK that I have forgotten their names after being reminded too many times.
Andy and Emma are so chilled out and we get along really well. They had just started their 5 month trip around the world and they plan on living in Europe for a couple of years at the end of their trip. They sold their house in New Zealand just yesterday! It was so cool to hang out with them and take them to the market (another slice of that lemon meringue pie for me!) but at the same time, I was so jealous that they were travelling for so long together and had such exciting plans for life abroad. We actually had a really chilling experience together in the evening- after walking back from the markets, we passed a building that was attached to this massive cathedral. The cathedral itself is stunning and has a cool story shot it being incomplete. In the building next to it, we could hear a couple of people singing. And we peeped in the windows to hear more. We didn't need to because the feint warm-up singing turned into a massive choir rehearsal that echoed into the streets. The harmonies were to die for. I stood transfixed to the spot with goosebumps all over my hot and sweaty body. It was all in Spanish, so i have NO idea what they were singing about. But the faces I saw were about my age and were singing with such intense passion. Who cares what they were singing about. It was beautiful. What a moment. What perfect timing it was to walk past that building next to the incomplete cathedral.

Today marks only 9 sleeps until I am back in boring old Sydney. Don't get me wrong- I am SO so excited to see Shane, family, friends etc. but the sudden realisation that I will no longer be on holidays...the fact that my boring routine life of Uni, responsibilities, and everyday hassles of living in the ghetto is just 9 days away, but mainly, the whole prospect of travelling will be over and I don't think I am ready for that.

How often do you meet new people when you are just going about your daily life? When is the next time I am going to be splitting the grocery bill with 7 strangers? What is "work" and why do I need it again? Why doesn't Australia implement siestas like Cordoba? What age do I have to turn to have strangers singing to me in Spanish on the rooftop at midnight again? And can I bring all of my new found friends home with me?!

Last night, dinner was a communal asado (massive slow cooking barbeque) And it was superb! But I was so tired! After we finished eating (around 2am), Paula and everyone else was peer pressuring me to go dancing at the night club that Paula works at. It was 2am!! But that's how nightlife works in Argentina- you eat late and go out around 2am. The only reason I went was because I would be able to spend a little bit more time with Paula, and it seemed really important to her that I come along. Well the nightclub was unlike any "club" I've ever experienced (not that I've been to more than 5 in my life). The music was a band of about 15 people, each with their own quality hand-made drums. Oh my goodness- it was SO COOL!!! I would have been more than content to just stand and watch them the whole night. But of course, Paula, the beautiful free spirit, grabs my hand at every opportunity and literally forces me to dance. I don't know what it is about me, but I just can't dance on command. I find that I am really awkward and stiff.. And honestly, I am more of an observer when it comes to dancing. I am more happy when I'm not taking part. So I found a seat and really got into the atmosphere of the drums, the outrageous dancing and the many different types of people that were around. 80 year old men were there in their best clothes and having the TIME OF THEIR LIVES! I loved that. There were hippies, there were young people, there were girls showing a lot of skin and girls dressed really modestly. There were just so many different types if people coming together and enjoying this incredible experience. While observing this in my seat, I started to get quite emotional. I am having the best experiences! And they are each so personal and wonderful in so many different ways. Praise God for blessing and protecting me every single day. I am so lucky to have so many incredible stories and happy memories of this time away from reality as I know it. Oh. I got home at 6am. CRAZY! And yet another illustration of what will NOT be happening once back at home (although, I am not going to miss the late nights/early mornings)!

Paula and I call each other sister, because of this intense connection and because the tattoo that we have that's similar, is something that she shares with her sisters as well. And we now both have nose rings and a trenza (cotton attachment for the hair). To think about saying goodbye to her has been the most heartbreaking yet. Will I ever get back to Cordoba? Will she ever make it to Australia?

And then on the other hand, only 9 sleeps until I see my man. Such a strong divide in my current disposition.







No comments:

Post a Comment