Tuesday, January 1, 2013

30th December. New York day 2.



Started the day by waking up (properly) at 9:30.
Best advice we were given was to buy a 7-day subway pass. Unlimited access to any subway for 7 days. $30. So good!!!
Ground Zero was on the list today but we didn't get tickets. So we went to the actual site and stood in an incredible crowd of Americans and foreigners alike. Might get to do a tour later on in the week.
We then headed toward Soho to find the markets. Non existent. Pretty DEV. Meanwhile freezing like never before and stopping at both a pharmacy store and a souvenir store to pick up some gloves.
It was around Soho that we had our first American mac & cheese from Mac Bar. It was easily missed. A noodle-shaped little room that sold 10 different variations on mac and cheese. We got "four cheese" and Shane rated it a 4 out of 5 macaronies.
We walked all over Soho, Greenwich, East Village and Lower East Side just winging it, finding the stores we had in mind and finding other shops along the way.
We decided to have lunch at Katz Delicatessen (from When Harry Met Sally) but upon arrival we saw the queue to get inside was a block long! We were desperate for warmth of any kind- just to be able to feel our faces again. So we went to Tim Horton's next door (it was EMPTY). It was here that we got to whip out our Lonely Planet's guide to New York book in the private booth and hide the fact that we were lost tourists.
We finally found the Friends apartment on Bedford and Grove. It was, however, night time. So all hope of having a glamorous photo in front of it was lost. I HAVE been practising with Neptune Frost (the name given to my new/old digital SLR camera) so I've attached a glimpse of "the" shot I got.
We walked some more around Greenwich and I found the letterpress store I have been dreaming about. Really had to quickly ration how much I was allowing myself to spend in this store in relation to the rest of my 2 month trip and also... How much room have I got left to pack things? I settled with a small pack of cards to send people. (..Or to keep to myself selfishly. If you end up receiving one in the mail, consider yourself HIGHLY important.)
Shane and I each had a slice of pizza (the size of our heads!!!) and caught the subway back home.

...yeah, the pillow was much more comfortable the night before.













No comments:

Post a Comment