Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Highlights from Detroit, Michigan



The best thing was just spending quality time with my brother, Nathan and sister (in-law), Kellie.
It had been a little over 2 years since I saw them in the flesh and there's something really special about catching up when it's not a Skype- scheduled hang out.

For Shane, this was his first time meeting Caleb (2) and the first time seeing Isabelle (4 and a half) since she was a flower girl at our wedding 3 years ago.

I was having too much fun catching up to write about every day but I'll try to recap my favourite parts..

# Waking up to snow after our first night there. I had never seen snow before so that was just breath-taking! I may have even had a little tear in my eye, peering outside through the window that the Christmas tree was in front of.

# Finally meeting Jason and Jennifer (Kellie's side of the family) after how many years of hearing stories about them?! They are Wonderful people who are easy to talk to. Their daughter Ella (1 and a half) is just lovely to watch. And their home is just incredible. We spent Christmas lunch there with Jennifer's parents and sister, as well as Kel's Dad & Stepmom. I met them on my last visit so it was great to see familiar faces and to catch up again.

# Christmas Eve. It was just a spectacular day from start to finish. A fresh batch of snow; Last minute shopping; Christmas Carols at the Woodside Bible Farmington Hills Church; Setting out presents for the kiddies; Nibbling on Santa's cookies... Late night chats by the fire and late night present-wrapping.

# Sledding. Shane and I got taken to the top of a large hill. I was a little nervous, but the kids led the way and showed us how it was done. Oh my! It was so much fun!

# The enormous snow fight Nath and I battled out after we made miniature snowmen. I got thwarted but managed to leave a memorable impression of his face with my snowball. Kel had hot chocolates with marshmallows waiting for us inside, along with warm towels to defrost my icicled hair.

# Late night chats, general hang outs and sing-alongs with Kellie, when the boys were in a different car or playing games downstairs. Sister bonding time was amazing. I'm really going to miss that.

# Shane and Caleb. Those two really hit it off for some reason. (The fact that cars are a huge part of these boys' lives might have something to do with it. ) My ovaries were practically bursting with glee everytime Caleb snuggled up close to Shane. Really beautiful moments.

# Isabelle giving me an enormous hug on our last night. The kiss goodnight on Christmas Eve was pretty special too. AND it was on Camera-Skype Camera that is... This means I have witnesses! Lollie, don't ever forget it! I certainly won't!

# That time we went to Canada. We drove all of 30 mins across the Ambassador Bridge and ate a spontaneous dinner at a Mexican restaurant in a town called Walkerville. The eatery was called "Walkermole". Get it?
I ate some incredible tacos- flavours I can't even describe. And finished off with an icecream burrito - with caramelised apple and fresh pomegranate. Salivating just thinking about it!!!

I know I must have left out a whole bunch of stuff.. But as a whole, we had a great time and are so thankful we got to spend so much time with Nath, Kel and the kiddies! Detroit was a hard place to say goodbye to.. Miss the family already.

But New York is next! So onward the journey goes..













































No comments:

Post a Comment