Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Another incredibly long day...



Well we left Casa de Sarlow at 3:15am yesterday morning to catch a 6am flight to New York via Washington DC. I wasn't having a good morning... 90 mins sleep, had a close call with a VERY SLOW car on the way to the airport, saying good bye to the family for who knows how long.
At Detroit Airport, I tripped over GOODNESS KNOWS WHAT and fell dramatically for everyone to see. How embarrassing. Also, my new shoes ripped a little mid-fall. I was carrying my enormous backpack at the time so getting up was a struggle. Oh I cringe at the memory.
For both flights, Shane and I were at opposite ends of the plane.. So packing the Uno in hand luggage went to waste. The tiny plane to Washington went through the usual safety drill over the PA system but started to skip. It was half-way through the part about "using your cushion as a safe-safe-safe-safe-safe-safe-safe-safe-ty-ty-ty-ty-ty-ty-ty-ty- floatation device" when the one and only flight attendant cut it off and read through it all manually from a sheet in a photo album.
After landing in Washington, there were no ground staff, so we waited on the plane for about half an hour before boarding a bus to take us to the terminal.
I slipped and fell flat on my bum when exiting the bus. This was also in front of a huge crowd and highly embarrassing. It was a little lucky that I wasn't bawling my eyes out with humiliation of 2 stacks in one day!! But more lucky that I had my amazing Husband with me to save the day (yet again) and all embarrassment was tossed aside while he helped me up. Someone else rushed to my side to help me up (a fellow passenger walking by), which was not left unappreciated. She stressed concern and assured me that it had happened to her as well. (Americans are very friendly!)

Well once we finally landed in New York, we gave the shuttle service a call to let them know we were waiting for them. Long story short, we waited 2 hours to be picked up. Once finally picked up from the Blinkin shuttle, we endured the 2 hour trek to our hostel- stopping at everyone else's destination first, giving us a glimpse into the high lives of the other travellers. Things we noted were fairy lights at hotel entrances, bell boys, dimly lit lobbies and general proximity to upper class society/ Times Square.

Once we got to the "Royal Park Hotel" (practically in the Bronx), Shane and I looked at each other and sighed. Where the heck did they get their name from?! No bell boy, no fancy lobby. Actually, the lobby is probably the fanciest part about this place. We trapsed our bags up to room 42G and discovered that "Shared Bathroom" literally is one toilet, one sink and one shower per hotel. I was pretty busting to use this toilet at this stage and there was a queue.
It was about 5pm when I burst into tears and needed a hug because I was just too tired. (Haha, Jana, I fear that I resemble a new Kindy student!)
We went to bed at about 5:30pm- my head hit the very comfortable pillow (or maybe I was just too tired to know any different).

We woke up and it was still dark. My phone said 10:30. I said to Shane, "Man! We slept right through and got a sleep in! We MUST have been tired!!!" Shane proceeded to get dressed and talk about breakfast while I wished we could sleep some MORE (surely I had slept enough)... We turned the tv on to help wake us up and decided to check my phone a little closer. Yep, it was 10:30PM. We had about 4-5 hours of sleep under our belts and laughed at how foolish we were.

We are still laughing about it! We turned the tv off and went back to bed, praying for a better day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment