Monday, January 21, 2013

Disney Day two.

Because I used up my park hopper ticket on one park (bummer), I ended up visiting Phyllis to organise another park hopper ticket for the day ahead of me. That was easy done and I was off for Hollywood Studios. According to Gabby, Hollywood Studios is the most fun park for adults. I studied the map briefly at the entrance and located all the rides I wanted to go on, but the weird thing I noticed was that a lot of the stuff around was not "real" Disney.. Ride #1 was an Aerosmith roller coaster. It was a huge wait. But it was so worth it! Crazy ride that is mostly in the dark, so you can't even anticipate which direction you're about to head in. Thrilling stuff! And again, after the ride, I was feeling so much more liberated and exhilarated. (I almost feel like Bella from New Moon, adrenaline junkie. A few heart palpitations a day to make me feel normal again.)

After Aerosmith, I went on the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. This is nothing like Dreamworld's Tower of Terror. It's closer to Space Probe 7 (for those of you who remember Wonderland), but less scary. The scary part is just the hype, the buildup and the question of "WHEN will we drop?" There were multiple drops all at random. And before we boarded the ride, we were squished into a very dark room of the "hotel" and watched a little staticy clip on a TV in the corner. It was all very eerie, which added to it as well. There was a kid on my ride who looked no older than 7 and she didn't make a peep on the ride. (Mutant.) I, however did a great scream and was pretty proud of my efforts.

After that ride, I went searching for Mickey Mouse. Isabelle! I met him! He whispered in my ear and told me to tell you that he hopes you're being a good girl for Mummy and Daddy!

I wanted to go on the Toy Story ride, so lined up in Andy's bedroom. That was pretty cool. All of the toys were gigantic so I felt like a toy myself! The ride itself was anticlimactic. I sat in a capsule and went around the arena on a flat track at a slow pace. I did get 3D glasses and had to shoot at the walls, sideshow style. Andy's room was the best part of the ride, and that was just the lineup.

I walked around Hollywood Studios for a bit.. Only really stopping for lunch at Pizza Planet. There wasn't really much else to look at. I reckon Hollywood would be a GREAT to take your kids to. There a lot of rides that the kids will love and a lot of interactive rides/games. Personally, it was not my favourite, so off I went to Magic Kingdom.

When I walked through the gates, I saw the castle. THE castle. And it was so beautiful I started to tear up. Not sad or anything, it's just that for the first time, I felt like I was at Disney World. The castle looked so picturesque. The background was a beautiful blue sky with a few white scattered clouds. Birds were flying in front of the castle and all around it. (I wondered to myself, how do they make the birds do that?) It was so beautiful. I just stood there and looked at the castle for about 5 minutes. Then coming in my direction was an 8 piece jazz band playing "under the sea". They stopped right in front of me and continued playing. It was SO cool! I could have very well have just stood in the entrance the whole day, crying tears of joy! Then they played "everybody wants to be a cat" from Aristocats. Trumpets, trombones, horns, drums and a saxophone. They were all wearing red and white striped suits with matching little cane hats. I don't think I need to say much more about how cool the first 10 mins was of me being there.

I was just so in awe of Magic Kingdom, I didn't go on any rides. It would have been good to, but it would have been an even better experience if I had someone with me. Things like the teacup ride. That's not the sort of thing you want to do alone. I was more than happy to walk around and take everything in. I wound up at the back of the castle in a new section called "Fantasyland", where they had Belle's town, including Gaston's pub where you could have an actual pub meal. But more importantly, Fantasyland was the home to "Ariel's Grotto". That's right, I got to meet Ariel!!!!!!!!!!
The line to meet her was excruciatingly long. But it was well worth the wait. She was SO COOL! I had tears in my eyes just as it was my turn!
So to sum up the day, I just walked around Magic Kingdom, practically sobbing the whole time because I was so happy.

The night show was spectacular. (If you only see one Disney night show, see the Magic Kingdom one!! In fact, if you only see one Disney Park at all, make sure it's Magic Kingdom.) The parades were of giant floats all lit up in a bazillion fairy lights. Even the costumes were decked out as if they were a crazy house at Christmas time. Afterwards, the castle lit up and various Disney cartoons were projected onto it, talking about wishes. Jimmeny Cricket and The Genie from Aladdin were standouts. And then the fireworks.. Starting out as a single "star" shooting across the sky. And then the rest of the fireworks took place while other Disney cartoons were projected onto the castle. This was such a magical time. The whole day was. The whole Disney experience. Oh, it was so worth staying in the dirtiest hostel ever.

I recommend it all, including Harry Potter world. But perhaps, rent a car or stay closer to the main attractions.

It was Gabby's last night at the hostel and I was too busy skyping at the time to realise. So when I got to the room, she was all packed up and already asleep. There was a little note on my bed, telling me her facebook details and saying how nice it was to meet me and have fun in South America! So sad that our time together was coming to an end. I wrote her a note back and left it on her luggage.

South America is starting to sound so close and real! I have wanted to go to that part of the world for years and years! But now it is happening and I don't know how I feel about it. Dreaming is so much easier. But fulfilling those dreams is so rewarding. I've just been to Harry Potter World and Disney World!! I had Butterbeer!!! I am a solo traveller and I am taking advantage of ticking off these moments from my bucket list. South America is another adventure I need to tick off. It's something I just HAVE to do. Galápagos Islands, here I come. It is the thing I have planned this whole trip around. Jana has given me outstanding feedback and is phenomenal at psyching me up for it.

Rest day/packing tomorrow. Might need a new bag to fit all my souvenirs in...





















No comments:

Post a Comment