Friday, January 25, 2013

Whinge fest

I should have taken advantage of the fact that I was following around Spanish/English speaking brazilians. I did not pick up much Spanish from them, other than "¿Mozo, por favor nos trae la cuenta¿"
Which means, Waiter, please may I have the bill?

Apart from not being able to read menus, the main thing keeping me inside my room was that I was actually very embarrassed to be eating alone. That, and I was nervous to go outside by myself. I was so lucky to have 3 days with people who let me follow them around the whole time.

When they left, I moped around, feeling sorry for myself for about 4 hours (no siesta, I was too distressed) and then thought it was about time I ate some dinner. I walked PAST about 15 restaurants before I gave up and started walking home again. And on an impulse, I stopped by one of many pizzerias. I saw the menu and it looked like every single pizza came with tuna on it. Grozz! Unless I interpreted "aceitunas" incorrectly. Anyway, I got 2 Gorgonzola empanadas. Time to try something new! Exciting stuff!! Loved them. Gorgonzola was a pretty heavy flavour, but it was the only word I recognised! Next time I will get a different filling.

The room-to-myself didn't last long. Probably 2 hours actually. My new roommate, Nick is from England. He was staying in a hostel around the corner but they didn't have room for him to stay an extra night. Since I met him, he's spent most of his time at the other hostel, only coming in to sleep at night. He hates the heat and kept saying how uncomfortable he was in the summer clothes he was wearing. Meanwhile, I am sprawled on my bed, marvelling at the heat and humidity, so comfortable I can barely move! Anyway, he's only here one night.

I can't believe I haven't even been in Buenos Aires for a whole week yet. It's day four and I have walked myself stupid across the city, going into practically every store. I'm exhausted. And I'm over it. I don't have enough money left to see much else of Argentina. And I can't afford to go into every store! This is the antique capital of the world and I spent enough money in the first store I walked into. Then walked out and found a whole street of them. It was amazing. But upsetting at the same time. I'm hanging out for the markets!! There are 3 that I really want to go to and they are all on Sundays.

I've had enough of Burger King as well. They are more common than McDonalds in Australia. Or more common than Starbucks in New York. And I can just point to the pictures to get the message across. After 3 Burger King meals in 3 days, I am no longer feeling slim and fit!

So far I've been to the cinema twice. First, with the boys, we saw Catcher something or rather. The Tom Cruise one. I was a little bit hoping that it would be in Spanish. But it was in English, with Spanish subtitles. I went to the cinema again today to see Wreck It Ralph or "Ralph Demolicia" and that was completely in Spanish. It was great because the pre-movie before it was a beautiful 5 minute silent film. And when the movie started, it was a bit hard to follow but by the end of the movie, I felt as though I'd watched it in English. That's the great thing about cartoons. Good one, Disney! Shane you should watch it! It's about video games and there is a car constructing scene! ;)

Bit sad, considering the best part of my day was going to the movies. And to watch a kids movie no less.

I am in a bit of a whingey mood in case you hadn't noticed. I even opened the letter from Jana marked "read if you want to come home". That was no good because it said that I CAN'T come home. It's what I would have wanted her to write if I'm being honest with myself. But it was also the last thing I wanted to hear.
I wanted the letter to say: "You know what? You're probably upset and homesick. So come home and everything will be OK. I'll even pick you up from the airport myself and we can surprise Shane."

Well. Looks like I'm not coming home just yet. Another month trapped in Buenos Aires is just what I need. Just me, Candy Crush and the wifi that is gradually turning to shit.




No comments:

Post a Comment