Thursday, January 3, 2013

Brooklyn


I just LOVED Brooklyn. We went to Williamsburg, which is apparently, only cool on weekends. Blah blah blah, I say to that! Coolest place! I could have spent way longer, parading the cute boutiques and vintage outlets, eating at every possible food vendor we passed, trying the boozy shakes.

What we ended up doing...

We went to the Brooklyn Art Library and checked out the sketchbook I submitted for the 2010 sketchbook project. Bit of a special moment being reunited with something I really put my heart and soul into.

I could have stayed all day pouring over incredible artists' works and feeling a special kind of bond with people I've never met. But it was after 2pm and neither of us had eaten Breakfast yet.

Shane navigated the way to DuMont Burger (on the mac & cheese list), while all the way, I was sniffing at all the amazing places we could eat if only we were in town for longer.

I ordered an autumn chicken salad that had pear, grapes, pecans and mixed greens with a balsamic vinegarette. Shane got the large mac and cheese. I rated it a 4.75 macaronies out of 5 and forgot about my delicious salad that I only half devoured.

From there, we ventured south and gradually became numb with cold the closer we caught glimpses of the bridge. To say that I have never been so cold in my entire life is an understatement. We purchased ferry tickets to take us back to Manhattan, but had a 40 min wait until the next boat arrived (because we had JUST missed one, 7 mins beforehand). We spent the better half of 40 mins running on the spot, doing star jumps and other ridiculous movements to try and bring back the feeling in our legs, hands, face and any other thing that may have gone numb without us knowing.

After we boarded the ferry, we slowly became aware that we had fingers and thumbs as we tried to take photos of the most incredible sunset happening outside our window. There was access to the roof to get better shots, but we preferred to keep our limbs rather than sacrifice them to frostbite. There were a fair few people outside though. (Bloody locals. Probably don't even feel the cold.)

Heading back to Manhattan, we stopped by the New York Kinokuniya and spent a small fortune. (Hahah the irony. Didn't find the Japanese Bookstore in Japan. But in Sydney and New York, no problem!) Across the road was this park.. And- I think I've done it. I think I've found the fountain from the Friends intro! The building behind it was especially familiar. Please someone confirm this for me. And please keep in mind that the intro was filmed in 1994 or earlier, so expecting a grassy field with nothing in a 100m proximity is a bit far fetched.
If I wasn't still defrosting, I would have jumped in the water and danced to the theme song playing in my head...
"So no one told you like was gonna be this wayyyyy.... CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP"

It was also in this park that I finally found and purchased a replacement hat.

Anyway, home again jiggety jig.. After some seedy maccas. Too. Much. Greasy. Food.

Zzzzz (food coma)
































No comments:

Post a Comment