Friday, January 11, 2013

Harry.

The day started out just as bad as the day before.. Tears over nothing in particular. Met one of my room mates, Gabby, who kindly offered me some of her food, which in turn led to more tears. Hah! Hand the woman a tissue, Gosh!

I decided that there was no use laying around the place. I'd paid for Harry tickets, so thought I might as well do that. This decision was made at 10am, a little late in the day if you ask me, but still, it was a decision made.

I asked around about how to get there and spoke to a shuttle company; $19 round trip, sounded too good to be true. It was, in fact. I needed to call the shuttle company 24 hours in advance. Went to talk to Phyllis about it. She said that a taxi would take me for $80. I begged for more options and with a heavy heart, she told me that I needed to catch not one, but 3 busses. And it would take me 3 hours. By this stage it was almost midday and already, I was feeling a bit down about the whole thing. "Stuff it, I'm GOING", I thought. So I got lost in Orlando. It took 5 buses and almost 4 hours to get there.
I was pretty annoyed and in a "this had better be good" mood. Especially after I got lost in Universal Studios. I ended up going to Jurrasic Park twice somehow, instead of passing through it.

Hogwarts was the first thing I noticed. And wondering how the heck I was going to get there, I noticed a sign above my head saying Hogsmead. I had made it. The first thing I did was line up for butterbeer because it was an enormous line and I needed some sugar for my weary soul. I had a choice between frozen and cold. I went with frozen at first (thanks for the recommendations, Lollie!) and it was everything I had hoped it would be. SO FLIPPING DELICIOUS! I went back for more, but just got a cold one. Still delicious, but I think I prefer Warwick's home-made version. Didn't buy the Butterbeer cup to put my Butterbeer in- because I'm a stinge.. But also spent plenty of money on other things from the gift shop. (Sherbet lemons? yes please!)

I felt like roaming around for a bit and went under this archway that said "please keep your belongings in one of the lockers provided". So I put my things in a free locker and proceeded to look at what I thought was just more sights of Harry potter world. But after seeing no real "sights" for about 3 mins of solid walking, I ended up next in line to go on a roller coaster!! I was so shocked and confused. How did I not realise that the arch I was going through was actually the barricades for the waiting line (which was empty)?! I don't mind roller coasters at all- in fact, I do really enjoy them. But I just didn't psych myself up for a roller coaster ride and I wasn't expecting anything like it. It started by going up and up and up and up a steep climb.. Very slowly. And then WOOSH! We went in all different directions, starting with straight down in a vertical fashion.
I opened my mouth to scream but nothing came out!! But, my goodness, it was so much fun. I forgot what it felt like to feel the wind in my hair! After the ride, I felt extremely liberated and confident. Adrenaline or something. All of a sudden I was wondering what I've been so emotional about these last couple of days. The shock of the ride was exactly what I needed. It was as if I was letting out all of my emotions by adrenaline or something. I just felt SO much better!!!

The parts of Harry Potter world were Hogwarts and Hogsmead. At Hogsmead, you could go to Olivander's, The Owl Post, Zonkos, Honeydukes and The Three Broomsticks (for a meal). All of the other shops were just window fronts for display, and you are not able to enter. But the displays were so cool. There was a queue for almost every shop. And getting a table at the Three Broomsticks was impossible. I managed to get to all of the shops except Ollivanders. But you could buy wands almost anywhere. (By peeking through the window, it looked more like a souvenir shop and most of the other stores are the same. Zonkos and Honeydukes were the only ones that actually sold what they were supposed to.

I desperately wanted to go to Hogwarts. But the line was a 60 min wait. So I got in line. But all Hogwarts IS the waiting line for a ride. So all through the 60 minute wait, I was basically looking at all of the amazing Hogwarts things, like the giant hourglasses that count the house points.. And the enormous eagle statue that guards the headmasters office.. And the Mirror of Erised.. And the moving artworks in various picture frames... And Proffessor Binn's classroom.. Oh you just have to see it for yourself!! It was amazing!! Unfortunately, the rooms were so dimly lit that I hardly got any good photos.

The ride itself was a simulation of going flying with Harry but coming across dementors, dragons and Aragog's entire family (gigantic spiders that looked a little too real).
For those that don't know, spiders scare me. A little. (A lot!) so I was petrified the entire time. The dementors would have been a bit more convincing if the simulated Harry showed a slight hint of panic. If I had my wand, I would have saved us all with my Patronus. (Oh law. Listen to me. I'm one of THOSE fans...)

By the time I got out of the ride, it was dark. So I took that as my queue to leave. I had to make sure I wouldn't miss the last bus home. But as it turns out, universal doesn't want anyone to leave. I wound up at Marvel world and couldn't get out. Should have thought about a map...

Anyway, finally arrived home safely (and feeling like a pro on the buses). I met up with Gabby, my room mate at the last bus stop which was incredibly convenient. When we got off the bus, it was just enough time to duck over the road to the grocery store, Publix to pick up some food. I constructed myself a meer bread roll with a slice of turkey and a slice of cheese and after consuming it, I felt even better! It was just a fantastic day. And I am feeling one giant step closer to feeling confidently independent as a solo traveller.






















No comments:

Post a Comment